Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sweat & Shit

Yesterday was a busy one
went shopping that morning for a desk chair
of wood & leather with a straight back,
no arms & simple profile

Took us a couple of hours
picked out a desk that I aint putting together
until we get to the new house
the aforementioned chair
and a kitchen apron

Got home to find blood pooling under the dog’s fur
rushed her right over to the big vet clinic,
The Doc said she’d had a reaction to a flea infestation
and she further irritated it in trying to rid herself of them

The nurses shaved her lower back gave her a couple injections
one antibiotic and a solid steroid
she cried a bit on the second one,
they told me,
but it was a doozy so nothing to worry about
and she really was a sweet pup

The Doc prescribed a pill that I could feed her at home
that would kill every flea on her,
then a bath as usual followed by the monthly preventive balm

I did that and she was sedate but fuzzy
came out of the bath like a rose with a shaved ass
feisty too, gripping her new fuzzy bone toy with her paws,
chewed it till the squeak was gone
and got started ruffling every inch with the mark of her teeth

This morning, I started the regiment anew
long walk, I fed her an antibiotic and a steroid,
stuffed into banana slices, and finished it with a handful of food
fresh water and an antihistamine spray on the itchy patch

She’s been pretty well stoned all day
and I’m not letting her just run around the backyard
like I used to, she’s gotta heal
so when we step outside together
she don’t have the motivation to chase much of anything
but she still don’t want to come in
I can understand that as well as anybody

2 comments:

  1. jc and i were just talking about lassa, i hope everything gets better. she is an awesome dog

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just fine, better than ever, really. Just a little stoned, and I can't blame her.

    ReplyDelete