Monday, May 4, 2009

After the Funeral III

Jenn & Brendan met us at the bar
it was a weeknight
I meant to tell them I appreciated the sacrifice
of the next morning

I don’t know if I ever did
though I’m sure I had the chance
in between talks of home, houses, art, & good food
I’m sure I must’ve told them I loved them
but I just don’t know

Jenn looked great
she could always rock an outfit
even if it was right from work
like a humbled Clark Kent
sitting cross-legged at the bar

She’s keeping busy
but kept the conversation light
smiling & smoking & talking about quitting
like she always does

Brendan looked like he rolled out of bed
& into my closet
it was the weirdest goddamn thing
but no one questioned
two bearded men
in plaid short sleeves & flatcaps
embracing by the bar

I miss those two
like America misses it’s own myth

No comments:

Post a Comment