Tuesday, May 5, 2009

After the Funeral VI

It ain’t supposed to rain all week
the grass in the front lawn
is starting to look a lot like straw
we got restrictions on when we can water it

Meanwhile
everything is just cooking out there
my garden is looking a little long in the tooth
for being so damn young

Out of the three plants I got hanging
what was my best contender a month ago
is suffering alone
wilting away

I’m doing all I can
fresh soil, a turn towards the sun,
misting the thin stalks,
gently leaking in the water,
I pat the soil with the tip of my finger
I speak low around it
I don’t even smoke inside

I wonder how much time I spend
standing on that back porch
feeling the heat waft in on the wind
feeling big & dumb & tired

It can’t be that often
but its all I ever talk about

I don’t need to be alone to talk to myself
to sweat under a t-shirt
to not go run inside
it just seems that
they gallop alongside each other
nearly tied for first
every year
all summer long
huffing, pumping blood,
braced on that singular enlightenment
when you believe your heart
more capable that it actually is
and that belief is tested
on the verge of death
and running your heart out
the whole time

No comments:

Post a Comment