Monday, May 4, 2009

After the Funeral V

I think some men drink
for the liquid courage they need
to stand up & face their kids

I’m sorry your Dad died
I wish it didn’t have to hurt
& I can’t in good conscience tell you
that all things pass

Some things last forever
they change shapes
or we change around them

You are like that
I am like that
Tom Waits is like that
& your Dad is like that too

There ain’t nothing to miss but time
& time ain’t going anywhere

You & Me, Tom Waits & your Dad,
nobody is going anywhere

1 comment:

  1. it has rained all day
    it was raining when i woke up
    i think it was raining as i slept
    and just now the sky has opened
    and buckets of water are falling
    on seeds i just planted
    seedlings i just tended
    plants i just potted

    they are swimming.
    they may drown.

    the sky has opened up
    and buckets of water are falling.
    i’m watching the soil wash away
    from the root of the grass
    watching the topsoil peel back
    from the tree roots in my front yard
    watching all the sowing done by nature
    be undone even quicker

    the cars just don’t stop coming
    as the sky has opened up
    and buckets of water are falling
    on this secondary thoroughfare
    the storm is on top of me
    according to the thunder wrapping
    and the lightning lighting my door

    the sky has opened up
    and buckets of water are falling
    falling. falling. falling.
    the sky has opened up
    and buckets of water are falling
    and while i still have power
    i’ll keep mixing cocktails
    and watching from my front porch.

    ReplyDelete