Friday, May 15, 2009

Bodies of Horses/Water

I’ve got a snoring dog on the floor
behind my chair
I bought her one of those dog beds
put it at the edge of my bed
she’s sleeping next to that

It’s like they say about horses
you can lead them anywhere
but you can’t make them do shit
holds as true to dogs as anybody
anything with guts
is chasing some kind of carrot
on someone’s stick or otherwise
everybody’s got to get what they want
it only makes sense
when you consider the alternatives

One of the neighborhood kids
is learning to skateboard outside
staying on the sidewalks
arms outstretched like wings
or weights to balance
the moving pavement
under her feet
from getting out from under her
no helmet though
the kid’s a trooper

If it wasn’t for all the vitamin C
I couldn’t stand to live in this place
but if I get an orange’s worth a day
I never feel the heat or get carried away
on the smoke of the burning marshes,
or the milky swirling breeze

If somebody asks me,
in the next town I live in,
what was that other place like?
I’m gonna tell em,
too many lakes

Don’t get me wrong
a lake is a hell of a nice thing to have
when it’s hidden away in the distance
or behind a summer house
but they got the damn things everywhere
so barely anybody uses them

I’ll take a rushing river or big blue ocean
any day
I can’t stand any body who just sits there
twice fold for a lake
You’ve got to wear away at something
or you aint doing nothing at all

No comments:

Post a Comment