Monday, May 4, 2009

After the Funeral I

O’ Bury me in a bar in old St. Louie
where the music is so loud & so good
where none speak my name
without toasting it in procession

Invite my friends
& all those who’ve loved me
to curse & drink & smoke & weep
in the beerlight of evening

Let everyone know why they’ve come
but never give them any proof
save my wife
who must identify my body
let her see that we’ve parted

Let everyone else move around my ghost
between those hailing a drink at the bar
the shuffling waitress
& the overcrowded tables

Let them know it’s okay to take my seat
I’m not up to take a leak or get a drink
I’m gone
& I ain’t coming back

2 comments:

  1. let all those who mourn me
    know my name is not scared
    my seat is no longer taken
    and my words never again spoken

    let them drink whiskey
    sing loud and tell stories
    let them seek solace
    and speak loudly

    let all those who mourn me
    love folly and laughter
    let me be gone and forgotten
    and theirs lives know promise

    let them drink vodka and tears
    besotted and soft spoken
    raise glasses for toasts
    that aren’t buttered or boughten.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't see how
    at the end of your days
    you'd want then
    to hold the butter

    ReplyDelete