Tuesday, May 5, 2009

After the Funeral IX

We met up with an old friend
at the gay & lesbian bar
he was as surprised as I was
to hear that I’d be there

We grabbed a couple of beers
and a table out of the way

We tried to catch up
we were hollering deep shit
4 inches from each other’s face

I could’ve settled in for the night
listening to him recount every detail
of the last 5 years
but another buddy of ours
was too drunk
had to be restrained
from punching some mouthy lesbian
who was begging for a fight
stumbled over to a nearby bar
crashed in their basement
when Jr. found him
we all had to get up to go real fast
to drive him home

It was for the best though
better than losing some bit of the story
to the thumping bassline
and the noise of the dancefloor

I got another friend
who I’ve never met
she talks all the time
about there being no conversation
you can’t have in a bar
and I used to always agree with her
but I’d never been to a lesbian danceclub
on a weeknight in St. Louis before
and now I’m not so sure

No comments:

Post a Comment