Monday, May 11, 2009

Questions for Potential Partners

She’s got an ex owes her some money
& a freshly broken heart
even if she don’t know it

Money’s never a non-issue
it’s poison for
poor kids & dumb bastards

Many people I know
treat it like the holocaust
leaving any discourse on the subject
in the hands of
the experts & the obscene

They only ever talk about money
when it’s failed
then panic, fear, resentment, & guilt
pour out in tears
scream in closed rooms
stand rabid & hungry
in official documents
notices, & phonecalls

It’s only ever an issue

A friend of mine told me
my next story should be about
how you can’t take anybody
on their word anymore

I told him it sounded more like
a life’s work
and we promised to keep in touch

We haven’t yet
but I ain’t worried about it much
we’re good for it

Anyway,
I told her what I thought
about the real deal
said
Life is one
deep & lingering tragedy
after another
sprinkled with innumerable
tiny victories
luckily though
the celebrations are frequent enough
that they keep us
pretty well distracted
and that’s that
war every day

We live
like we share every room
with elephants

She told me
you got to thank
whatever watches over you
I replied
Yeah
if you got to

2 comments:

  1. sometimes i feel more inclined
    to thank
    a deep, lingering tragedy
    for getting me here

    i wondered about past loves
    and the lives we had.
    wondering what end games
    i could have come to
    and if i missed any boats
    or busses
    or trains left
    at stations
    untold.

    but i never missed a bus
    or a boat
    and i left most trains
    at stations
    to get here
    all luggage in tow.

    so i live out of suitcases
    and i'm always ready to
    emotionally move.

    but that's fine by me
    like orange sherbet
    in push-up pos
    is fine for
    a summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd been around
    but I didn't own a piece of luggage
    until someone issued me one

    Now I got a couple of duffles
    and a nice vintage American Tourister
    as a gift

    I think that Tourister
    is all I'd ever need
    but there's no way
    it'd get past security

    ReplyDelete