Wednesday, May 13, 2009

New Dog Bowls

We were talking about the new dog bowls
their handmade wood structure
three stains of the same wood
trisected with a smooth dark top
supported by an orange and a red wing
crossed and set like the body and the fin
of a wide-eyed alien spaceship
on the label it read, “Astro’s Bowl”,
penned on one side
the other, just a sticker gun price

Then we got to talking about Astro Jetson,
and I felt certain that our bowls were no copy
though I had no proof,
from what I could remember of the show
it probably floated
with little corkscrewed antennae
and ripples underneath
of some energy pollutant

Anyway,
all the dogs in those shows
were little more than sloppy carbon copies
of Scooby Doo.

You said,
how much further can you really go on
as a dog?

I said,
I know, always hungry, kind of dumb,
even Scooby needed Scrappy
after a while
as a crutch

Yeah
and when you put the dog on its hind legs
it’s just as dumb
as every other two-legged creature

You apologized
& I said it was ok
I left laughing


No comments:

Post a Comment