Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Some Weather

It’s been raining all day
several counties under tornado advisory
the better part of the morning

The wind took all but the strongest leaves
from my lemon tree
knocked over the birdfeeders
and taken leaf & branch into the street

My back patio is holding an inch or two
of standing water
no point in sweeping it really
the rain will return heavier before dark

Tomorrow I’ll sweep the flood from my porch
let the sun finish drying it up
Just muddy tomorrow
but tonight it’ll be good & wet

When it’s like this
it’s impossible to keep the floor clean
around the doors
I’m always running out there for something
have a smoke
or a think
or to do some tiny errand
bring in the pots
unclog the gutter drain
& I’ll bring some back in with me
it’s unavoidable

But tonight the wind will be crisp & cool,
& smell like the leaves & the rain
I’ll throw on a hoodie
I’ll shroud myself
& smoke in the porchlight
Listening to the cars outside
one after the other
part tiny seas
& roar waves
crashing to break on the curb
& enfoam
to rain down
back into the street

No comments:

Post a Comment