Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dead birds on the side of the interstate through Caseyville, Il.

Sun,
If there was ever a time to relent it should’ve been then
I would’ve carried my bags in the rain
just to not have to drag them across state lines
in that Midwest Summer heat.

Was picked up with my thumb out
about a ten minutes drive from downtown St. Louis
I can’t remember a thing about them
don’t even remember if they were man or woman
You’d think I would
considering the chunk of my ass they saved
but they delivered me so speedily
from what would’ve been
the better part of a morning’s suffering
that their heroic act seems to eradicate
the significance of itself.

It is as though they robbed me of a would-be memory
& that which occurred
regardless of how significant
was still so far from what should have been recorded
that I couldn’t connect the synapses
between the dead birds, the heat,
the strap, with each step, grazing against
the sweat soaked shoulder of my t-shirt
& arriving downtown.

No comments:

Post a Comment