Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Apologies for the Rubber Chicken Poetry Slam (Monterey, CA)

I’m happy to say now
that I’m sorry I stopped writing
& competing

You should know
that getting up there & fighting it out
with so many amazing writers
was a real pleasure every week
& when I won
it was just the icing on the cake

But I won quite a bit
& at first I was flattered
but soon turned to shame

I couldn’t understand how I could win
on what grounds
could I be deemed better
& why I had to be made the robber
I gave my winnings back to the donations
& still
I couldn’t help feeling bloody

I wanted to win at first
I liked the attention
the recognition
I aimed to please you all
I’d borrow your eyes
& look again at every word
I’d written

I won that way most
writing what I knew
would grab your attention
but as honest as it was
& it was
it was still a lie

I subjugated your perception
I was making accidents
we could all relate to
& at the same time
still feeling your push
the weight of your combined genius
& running the numbers
striving, always striving
to beat down the beast of my own
inquisition

I won & it was a lie
I was not a competitor

We were all putting on puppet shows
Screaming from inside ourselves
to fill some inflated effigy
into convulsing wildly
Dancing interpretive dances
for people we knew nothing about

Don’t read me sorely
it was still dance,
screaming,
theatre
it was still the only good reason
to wake up early & go to bed late
but I never really wanted to win it
ever

So I stopped risking it
then I stopped competing at all
went away for a while
came back to watch from afar
or not show up at all

I’m sorry I stopped playing the game
but,
I never could stand
anything
where people have to pick sides
They always make me feel
abandoned

2 comments:

  1. i used to rhyme
    slow quick slow slow
    and i always used to close

    no time for me to worry
    about if i was ready
    or would i be wonderful

    i was a drunk disaster
    slurring stanzas
    into the crowd

    i knew why i was there
    and it wasn't for them
    but it doesn't to have
    been for me either

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I'm writing something
    & somewhere over the hump
    I start trying to find a balance
    between my level of devotion
    & a firm conclusion

    I start thinking about the end
    & how I'm going to tie it up
    but I feel every time
    that it's a little unfair
    seeing as how
    nobody really knows
    how things play out
    in the end

    I start thinking crazy thoughts
    about the meaning of words
    & their effect
    & how to quantify
    & calculate
    the quality of a response

    I tried different things there
    for awhile
    I tried to just place the words together
    associated by only beats & sounds & textures
    I tried to hang meaning out to dry
    on every line
    thinking all the while
    that they would find some truth
    & it would be thrice as powerful
    because it would've been snatched
    out of the chaos of human expression

    They would own it
    & I would be liberated of control
    but I somehow never expected
    to be embraced
    as a liberator
    nor how much I would hate
    what they found hanging on my every word

    ReplyDelete