Monday, May 23, 2011

On Minimalism and Breadths

Sorry I've been away.

I've been working with the Free University of San Francisco
teaching a course called Intro to Minimalism

When I was asked to teach a course
I chose those topics recently addressed here
that of Minimalism and the nature of Art

I billed the class as "A Critical Theory Primer"
my intention being the education of Dialectical Criticism
through the real-time criticizing of the Minimalist Art Object

This is how I explained it in my proposal:
Appearing, at first, 
like a deep textual analysis of Minimalism's simplest definition, 
but over its five weeks worth of opening remarks 
(Minimalism, Subject, Object, Expression, Spectacle), 
proving to be a minimalist critique 
of western philosophy's 
underlying fetishization of the Subject 
and subsequent suppression of its all encompassing Other.

As this course was a continuance of our work
I'm going to post my notes for the course here

This may take a while
as many of the notes are heavily formatted

I've invited the students from my class to
and I encourage them and you to comment
as always, freely

Expect much soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment